Australian fast bowler, Mitchell Starc has decided to sue his insurers for the IPL 2018 deal as he wasn’t able to play for Kolkata Knight Riders due to an injury. The express pacer has already filed a case with the Victorian County Court to get his hands on AUD 1.53 million which he wasn’t able to get last year.
The case has been filed against a London-based syndicate of Lloyds. Starc took an insurance deal however, he couldn’t recover the amount as he was told that he wasn’t eligible for a payout.
The writ said:
“The parties have exchanged correspondence about the plaintiff’s claim which culminated in a final response from the defendant’s representative in the form of an email sent on 22 November 2018. That email confirmed the defendant’s contention that the plaintiff is not entitled to the total disablement benefit.”
— Fox Cricket (@FoxCricket) April 8, 2019
The pacer was a hot pick at the 2018 IPL draft (AUD 1.8 million) as the only other Australian player expensive than him was Chris Lynn who bagged a deal of AUD 1.86 million. However, the 29-year-old wasn’t ruled fit ahead of the IPL for the injury he suffered in South Africa tour, which is best remembered for the ball-tampering saga.
According to the details, Starc paid a premium of ‘$97,920 to be covered between February 27 and March 31 in 2018, when the tournament ended’.